What is SEO? | Complete 2019 Guide | Web Marketing Nepal
As a Digital Marketing and SEO agency in Nepal, we have come up with the ultimate guide to SEO in Nepal to help you grasp the concept of website SEO.
SEO – An Analogy
Imagine you are a librarian.
Perhaps, your library consists of books that contain an answer to every possible question to ever cross a human’s mind.
In addition, anyone can publish a book and add it to your library.
Now imagine people are standing in line outside.
Each person has a question to ask. So, your job is to dig through the book shelves and find the book(s) that contains the answer for that particular individual.
However, here are a couple of things to consider:
- For instance, there might be multiple books that contain the answer for the same question. How do you decide which book to show them?
- If you decide to give a book that doesn’t satisfy them, they might not return to your library ever again.
- How do you know which books are credible and which are fake. (remember, anyone can add a book!)
Here is a scenario.
Let us suppose, a person comes by your library with a question, “How many teeth does a bull shark have?”
You go to the biology section of your library and find 50 books that contain the answer.
Some books say the bull shark has 500 teeth while others say 350.
Herein lies the dilemma. That is to say, how do you determine:
- Which book to show first? (remember, your focus is to satisfy your customers on the first try)
- Which book is correct? (giving incorrect answer is bad for your reputation)
- Which writer is considered trustworthy and has authority?
- How fast do you get back to them with the answer?
This is the dilemma search engines face everyday.
In the library example, Library is the Internet.
Librarian is the search engine.
Books are the web pages on the Internet.
People with questions are Internet users.
You must be wondering, where does SEO come in? Remember the dilemma the librarian faces?
SEO’s job is to make the librarian’s job easier. Here is the same scenario with the “bull shark” question.
The librarian finds 50 books with the answer. Using SEO you can:
- Make it such that your book is shown first to the users.
- Develop authority such that your book’s content is considered trustworthy.
- Get more people to read your book everyday.
- Increase their reading experience.
Why is SEO important?
The short answer to this is: Traffic!
60% of all traffic on the web starts with a Google search.
Most importantly, Google receives up to 60,000 requests a second.
As Woody Allen once said, “Eighty percent of success is showing up.”
Moreover, let’s illustrate an importance of SEO with an example…
Let’s say that you run an online bag store. According to Google, 9,900 people search for “bags online shopping” every single month in Nepal.
32.5% of people clicked on the first result of Google. That is 3,218 people landing on your website every month.
Even if your conversion rate is 2%, that is 65 people actually buying from you.
You are selling 65 bags every month just by showing up in front of your customers.
You can imagine how dentists, lawyers, real estate agents, restaurants etc. can leverage SEO to get more leads.
In short, that is the power of SEO.
SEO Ranking Factors
Google has more than 200 ranking factors.
Before you shut down your device and go cry in a corner. You don’t need to take every factors in account, just the important ones.
And this is exactly what we are going to talk about.
Secure & Accessible Website
Security as well as transparency is one of primary concerns of Google.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Make sure your website follows “https” protocol if it doesn’t already.
- Upload “robots.txt”
- Create a Sitemap for your website.
Page Speed & Mobile Friendliness
Test your website page speed by using a page speed tool.
Make sure the website loads in under 5 seconds.
Also test the mobile friendliness using this tool.
As a SEO Agency in Nepal, this is one of most common questions we get from businesses.
Follow the following instructions to perform a basic website technical SEO.
- Use Keywords in page titles.
- Use the right header tags (h1, h2, h3)
- Optimize your meta description.
- Use keywords in image alt tags.
- Use schema markup.
Among all the ranking factors, user experience is one of the most important. Therefore, if you follow all the other steps but your website lacks user experience. You will not rank. Period.
So how do you improve your user experience?
- Reduce Bounce Rate
- Increase CTR (Click Through Rate) and Dwell Time.
Links, Links and Links
The reason I wrote three links is not because of dramatic reasons (okay it was!) but also because there are three types of links to consider.
- Internal Links
- Inbound Links
- Outbound Links
Backlinks are another very important ranking factor when it comes to Google.
Moreover, a study done on the top Google Pages found that they had equally large number of backlinks.
Also, strategic Internal linking of your content and to others content helps the search engine get an idea about your website.
On September 2019, Google introduced two new link attributes adding to the ever popular “rel=nofollow” attribute.
- rel = “sponsored”: Lets Google know the links that were created as advertising and sponsored links.
- rel = “ugc”: Lets Google know about the user generated contents like guest posts, comments and forums.
Recently, when Google launched its E-A-T algorithm, lots of websites were hit very hard.
EAT stands for Expertise, Authority and Trustworthiness.
Your website can show expertise by finding what people are searching for and giving it to them. A large part of it is keyword research & content creation.
Likewise, for Authority, Google looks and your Domain Authority, number of Backlinks and general mentions throughout the Internet.
Finally, to show trustworthiness, you must have a clear way for customers to make contact, having a physical location and adding terms and condition pages on your website.
To sum up, what this means is that your NAP (Name, Address, Phone) should be consistent throughout the Internet.
Hence, this was a brief overview about the basics of SEO and why it is important.
Therefore, as a SEO Agency in Nepal, our main aim for this article is to make people aware about the importance of SEO to businesses.
See ya on the next blog!